- Do you like winter?
- What sports do you play?
- region /REE-juhn/
- number /NUHM-ber/
- secondhand /SEK-uhnd-HAND/
- full /fool/
- ski resort /skee ri-ZAWRT/
[noun] a particular area or part of a state or country
The river flooded the whole region.
[noun] an amount or total
There is a small number of students outside.
[adjective] owned or used in the past by someone else
owned or used in the past by someone else
[adjective] containing a lot of things or people
The concert last evening was full of teenagers.
[noun] a town that is popular for skiing
I want to spend my winter vacation at a ski resort.
Mikio Kadoya, a 60-year-old manager of a sports shop in Kanda, said that there were many secondhand shops in the area. They then turned into sports shops when ice skating’s popularity rose, most especially during the Sapporo Winter Olympics in 1972.
In the 1990s, around 80 sports stores in Kanda were full of customers, which caused the place to be more famous than it already is. Kanda was then recognized as the center of sporting goods.
Ski resorts these days are adding more areas for sledding and skiing so that many people will enjoy them. If you want high-quality equipment for your next ski trip, then Kanda is the right place for you!
True or False:
- Mikio Kadoya is the 60-year-old manager of a sports shop in Kanda.
- There were many customers in around 90 stores in Kanda in the 1990s.
- Kanda is a famous place for basketball fans
- The secondhand shops turned into sports shops when snowboarding became famous.
- Nowadays, ski resorts are adding more places for skiing and sledding.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- Shikoku is one of the largest ________ in Japan.
- There was a small ________ of contestants who joined the dance contest.
- I don’t want a ________ guitar. I want a new one.
- The school was ________ of students on the first day of the school year.
- I want to go to a ________ in Hokkaido this winter vacation.