- inhabitant /in-HUB-i-tuhnt/
- realistic /ree-uh-LIS-tik/
- assist /UH-sist/
- distinction /dih-STINGK-shuhn/
- companionship /kuhm-PAN-yuhn-ship/
[noun] a person or animal that lives in a particular place
Monkeys were the first inhabitants of my town a hundred years ago.
[adjective] seeming to exist or be happening in fact
The animation in the movie looks realistic when the main character was shot.
[verb] to help
I will assist my sister in packing her things because she has a lot of things to pack.
[noun] a difference between two similar things
Many people look up to Morissette because she is a singer of great distinction.
[noun] the enjoyment of spending time with other people
I want my choir members to have companionship.
The robot dog has 16 engines to regulate its movement and is loaded with sensors to react to spoken instructions. Also, it can identify human touches such as the distinction between a soft and hard caress. Stevens said that he developed the robot idea after his mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in 2011. Stevens had experience in developing robotics and he wished that the new technology would give companionship to people like his mother. “The dog is very interactive, the tail wagging, responding to them calling her name,” said Caroline Gibson, a spokeswoman from a nursing home. “It’s really amazing to watch them have a lot of ease and reduce anxiety.” She added. Stevens’ company plans to sell its first robot dogs in 2020.
True or False:
- The robot dog has 26 engines that regulate its movement and is loaded with sensors to react to spoken instructions.
- The robot dog is simpler than a real dog to look after.
- Tom Stevens submitted a test adaptation of the robotic Corgi puppy to the inhabitants of a nursing home in Thousand Oaks, California.
- Stevens developed the robot idea after his mother was diagnosed with cancer in 2011.
- Steven plans to sell its first robot dogs in 2021.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of robot dogs?
- Do you think robots are more intelligent than humans? Why or why not?
- Do you believe that dogs are man’s best friend? Please explain your answer.
- Do you think dogs can do human activities? Why or why not?
- In your own opinion, how important are robots to humans’ lives? Please explain your answer.
Express Your Opinion:
- “Technology is a useful servant but a dangerous master.” – Christian Louise Lange
- “Technology changes the quality of life, technology cannot replace human intelligence.” – Dr. T.P. Chia
- “The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.” – M.K. Clinton