- rank /rangk/
- bounce back /BOUNS-bak/
- accordance /uh-KAWR-dns/
- foresee /fawr-see/
- cultivate /kuhl-tuh-veyt/
[verb] to have or be put into a position on a list of other similar things or people, that compares their importance, level of success, etc.
Several countries around the world will be ranked this coming Olympic game.
[phrasal verb] to return to your usual state or activities after having a problem
The company’s management is spending much time to bounce back from bankruptcy.
[noun] obeying a rule, law, standard
Employees usually act in accordance with the established protocol.
[verb] to know about something before it happens
Few members of the local group did foresee the tremendous results of their previous meeting.
[verb] to try to develop and improve something
The new president is cultivating their relationship with other foreign companies.
The report also added that Tokyo and Osaka are foreseen to experience a reduction in population considering the low migration and low birth rates. This will help to cultivate the safety in the places but could be challenging to some countries that have a fast-rising population like China and India. On the other hand, Amsterdam was ranked fourth on the index. Sydney and London ranked 14th followed by New York. Other cities in Asia such as Beijing was ranked 31st and Shanghai was 32nd on the list.
True or False:
- Tokyo was rated as the most secured city by the Economist Intelligence Unit.
- EIU has ranked more than 60 cities around the world.
- Singapore was evaluated as the second most secured city worldwide.
- Osaka got a higher point under infrastructure and personal security.
- Tokyo and Osaka are expected to experience a shrink in population due to low migration and birth rates.
- What is your opinion on the EIU’s ranking of the world’s safest city?
- Do you think the categories mentioned in the article are reasonable to rank the cities?
- In your own opinion, what are the benefits of being ranked as the safest town in the globe?
- Do you agree that being the safest city can help boost tourism? Why or why not?
- Aside from safety, what else do you look for in a city?
Express Your Opinion:
- “For those who are lost, there will always be cities that feel like home.” ― Simon Van Booy, Everything Beautiful Began After
- “Level, is spelled the same forward and backward. Those on the upper level can always hit the bottom, and those on the bottom can always rank to the top. Envision your footprints up there already trailing, and your feet will soon follow suit.” ― Anthony Liccione
- “A city isn’t so unlike a person. They both have the marks to show they have many stories to tell. They see many faces. They tear things down and make new again.” ― Rasmenia Massoud, Broken Abroad