- Have you tried talking to yourself?
- Do you usually ask for advice from other people?
- intelligence /in-TEL-i-juhns/
- self-reflection /self ri-FLEK-shuhn/
- pronoun /PROH-noun/
- contrary /KON-trer-ee/
- chance /chans/
[noun] the ability to learn, understand, and make judgments
She will take an intelligence test tomorrow.
[noun] the activity of thinking about your own feelings and behavior
John spends a lot of time doing self-reflection.
[noun] a word that is used instead of a noun or a noun phrase
Rin will have a report about pronouns.
[noun] used to show that you think or feel the opposite of what has just been stated
She thinks that the movie is a comedy, on the contrary, it’s sad!
[noun] the level of possibility that something will happen
You will have more chance of winning the game if you practice hard.
A new research has shown that thinking too much often results in poor decision making. It is believed that people should adopt illeism, the act of referring to oneself in the third-person instead of first-person, when making decisions.
Ethan Kross, a psychologist, said that the way people talk to themselves has an effect on their success in life. If a person talks to himself using the pronoun “I”, that person is more likely to do poorly. On the contrary, talking to oneself in the third-person has more chances of finishing tasks.
Talking to yourself in the third-person point of view might help you make decisions more carefully. In case you are feeling uncertain, talk to yourself in the third person and you might get surprised by the result.
True or False:
- Socrates is a psychologist.
- Illeism is the act of referring to oneself in the first-person.
- Ethan Kross said that the way people talk to themselves doesn’t have an effect on their success in life.
- Talking to yourself in the first-person point of view might help you make decisions more carefully.
- Talking to oneself in the third-person has more chances of finishing tasks.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- Doing _______ helps us to know ourselves more.
- I thought the game was exciting, on the _______ it’s not!
- Our topic for today is _______.
- They didn’t give us a _______ to express our ideas.
- She has a high _______.