- How often do you get sick?
- What do you usually do when you get sick?
- danger /DEYN-jer/
- enough /ih-NUHF/
- loaded /LOH-did/
- spread /spred/
- flu /floo/
[noun] the possibility that something bad will happen
The sick woman is in danger of death.
[adverb] as much as is necessary
We need enough medicine for our patients.
My bag is loaded with different pieces of paper.
[verb] to move from one place to another
The fire spreads so fast!
[noun] an infectious illness like a very bad cold that also causes a fever
Maria has the flu since last week.
1. Ask for antivirals
If flu symptoms are starting, it is better to ask the doctor for antiviral medicine. Always ask for doctor’s prescriptions because antiviral side-effects might cause danger especially with those patients with diabetes and heart problems.
2. Get enough sleep
A study has shown that getting enough sleep keeps our immune system in good condition. Also, sleep can also help a person not to get the flu, especially if a person already has a flu vaccine.
3. Watch your food
A lot of experts believe in the importance of drinking because it helps with congestion and stops mucus formation. Foods rich in vitamin C like oranges, as well as those loaded in vitamin A like carrots, can help improve one’s immune system.
4. Keep yourself warm and stay at home
Being warm helps the body to save its strength to fight sickness. Stay indoors and take a rest until the fever subsides to stop the virus from spreading.
5. Give NAC supplements a try
A study has shown that N-acetyl L-cysteine (NAC) is a good antioxidant. It can shorten both the length and seriousness of flu by strengthening immunity, lessening respiratory mucus, and preventing the virus to reproduce.
True or False:
- Getting enough sleep keeps our immune system in good condition.
- Drinking helps our body to restore mucus formation.
- Staying outside helps the body save its strength to fight illnesses.
- NAC reduces the duration and graveness of the flu by making our immunity strong.
- Antivirals are well prescribed by doctors because it has no harmful side-effects in our body.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- Milk keeps our bones healthy because it is _____ with calcium.
- They went to the clinic to have a _____ shot.
- My mom cooks _____ food for everyone.
- There’s a _____ in taking unprescribed medicines.
- Her popularity _____ so fast because of different issues she faced.