- What comes into your mind when you hear the word alarm clock?
- Does your family use an alarm every morning? Why or why not?
- unhealthy / uhn-HEL-thee/
- aspect /AS-pekt/
- cooperate /koh-OP-uh-reyt/
- analysis /uh-NAL-uh-sis/
- severe /suh-VEER/
- struggle /STRUHG-uhl/
- gain /geyn/
[adjective] not in a state of good or normal health; in an unsound, weak, or morbid condition
Jonas and his brother became very sick after eating unhealthy foods last week.
[noun] one part of a situation, problem, subject, etc.
Education is one of the most essential aspects of life.
[verb] to act or work together for a particular purpose, or to be helpful by doing what someone asks you to do
The Philippines and Japan cooperated to have a better partnership in terms of business.
[noun] the act of analyzing something
High school students were amazed by their secretary’s analysis about the world’s biggest rock.
[adjective] causing very great pain, difficulty, worry, damage, etc.
Ms. Martinez suffered from a severe headache due to overwork.
[verb] to experience difficulty and make a very great effort in order to do something
I had been struggling just to make my grades higher.
[verb] to get something that is useful, that gives you an advantage or that is in some way positive, especially over a period of time
Jayson gained a lot of medals and certificates during their graduation.
Australian scientists from the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) noticed that their research is affiliated with Sleep Inertia or SI along with sounds of an alarm clock. The researchers conducted an evaluation to prove that Sleep Inertia is connected to the uncertainty of human performance and sound aspects. There were 50 participants who cooperated in the said analysis. But then, the result yielded a high number of using severe sounds.
Most people don’t know what Sleep Inertia is. Sleep Inertia has to do with the condition of the cognitive case and sensory-motor performances that we feel after waking up in the morning. This kind of status could harm our brain and may result in high blood pressure and heart disorder. It could also influence deeds and can lead to brain damage to a person who uses alarms especially to those workers who struggle from dangerous jobs like firemen, doctors and pilots. So, the researchers planned and did various studies appraising the series of the accuracy of sounds and rhythm of an alarm clock.
Meanwhile, if you wake up inconveniently, your actions and performances may be affected and could worsen the central portion of our brain for about an hour after sleeping. That could also lead you to accidents or severe pain and discomfort in your mind and body. Some people might consider that an alarm sound “beep beep beep” will help you gain firmness and energy, but it’s absolutely not. Thus, it will be the cause of having a destructive mindset.
- Who did the research to prove that SI is linked to an alarm clock?
- What does RMIT stand for?
- What was the research about according to the scientist?
- What will happen if you wake up in an inconvenient way based on the article?
- According to the article, what did the researchers appraise?
- What are some health effects of waking up inconveniently? Please cite examples.
- What will you do if you experience oversleeping by using an alarm clock?
- How are you going to apply what you learn in the article in your daily life? Explain your answer.
- What do you think are other ways to wake up early? Give at least 2 examples.
- How can you help those people who don’t want to stop using an alarm clock?
Elaborate your answer.