- What are some active volcanoes in Japan?
- How do you prepare for natural disasters in advance?
- steam /steem/
- aviation /ey-vee-EY-shuhn/
- impair /im-PAIR/
- apparatus /ap-uh-RAT-uhs/
- peninsula /puh-NIN-suh-luh/
[noun] the hot gas that is produced when water boils
The engine was releasing steam from the boiler.
[noun] the business of designing and manufacturing aircraft
Almost 60% of major aviation companies cut their prices to compete against budget airlines.
[verb] to damage or weaken something so that it is less effective
A maximum volume on earphones can impair your hearing.
[noun] a set of equipment or tools or a machine that is used for a particular purpose
Make sure to check your diving apparatus before anything else.
[noun] an area of land mostly surrounded by water but connected to a larger piece of land
The peninsula I visited on my vacation was a military base in the past.
Klyuchevskoy is located in the Kamchatka Peninsula of East Russia, and is considered as the most active volcano in Eurasia, the continent which refers to Europe and Asia as one. The volcano is believed to be around 7,000 years old, with a height of 15,580 feet. It is part of the Klyuchevskaya group where 160 more volcanoes are found, 26 of which are reported to be active.
- How high is Klyuchevskoy based on the article?
- What could the ash particles do to airplanes as stated by the USGS?
- Based on the article, when did Russia’s most active volcano erupt?
- Where can Klyuchevskoy be located?
- According to the article, what did the aviation color code classify the eruption as?
- What do you think does the local government of Russia do to prepare for Klyuchevskoy’s and other volcanoes’ possible eruptions?
- Aside from damaging airplanes, what other negative effects can ash particles bring?
- What do you think are the causes of natural disasters?
- Do you think we can prepare ourselves for natural disasters in advance? Why or why not?
- How do you think our technology could help in taking the necessary steps during a natural calamity?