- authority /uh-THAWR-i-tee/
- restrict /ri-STRIKT/
- elite /ih-LEET/
- assemble /uh-SEM-buhl/
- precede /pri-SEED/
[noun] a group of people with official responsibility for a particular area of activity
The police authority mandated drivers to wear their seat belts to avoid major accidents.
[verb] to limit someone’s actions or movement, or to limit the amount, size, etc., of something
The government can restrict unauthorized staff from accessing a titled land.
[noun] those people or organizations that are considered the best or most powerful compared to others of a similar type
Some elite sports participants may have the opportunity to compete at the highest level of the competition.
[verb] to bring or come together in a single group or place, or to put together the parts of something
They managed to assemble on time at their meeting place.
[verb] to be or go before something or someone in time or space
She stated in her interview that her love of arts preceded her passion for acting.
Several fans lined up the streets of Japan’s capital, but there were far fewer people who participated than in previous years. The government has been asking people not to assemble in large crowds. Tokyo is set to host the 2020 Olympic games and Japan has taken drastic actions to stop the disease from spreading. Tokyo and International Olympic Committee organizers have repeatedly said that the Tokyo Olympics should proceed as planned and that they will follow the advice of the World Health Organization. The Olympics, which will begin on July 24, is set to gather 11,000 participants in Tokyo, preceded by the Paralympics with 4,000 athletes, which will begin on 25 August.
True or False:
- Japanese residents postponed some sporting events due to concerns over the spread of the virus.
- The Olympic competition of Japanese marathon runners was expected to have 200 elite runners.
- The streets of Japan’s capital were lined by fewer fans compared to previous years.
- Tokyo is scheduled to host the Olympic Games in 2022.
- The Olympics, which will begin on 24 July, is expected to gather less than 11,000 athletes in Tokyo.
- Do you think it is a good idea to cancel sporting events at the Olympic Games? Why or why not?
- Do you agree to restrict Japanese marathon runners to 200 elite participants? Please explain your answer.
- What is your opinion of the current number of Japanese marathon runners?
- In your opinion, how many participants should join sporting events?
- What do you think is the most thrilling game to watch in the Olympic Games?
Express Your Opinion:
- “The beauty of being blessed with talent is rising above doubters to create a beautiful moment.” – Kobe Bryant
- “Use your success, wealth and influence to put them in the best position to realize their own dreams and find their true purpose.” – Kobe Bryant
- “Being a fan means loving sports without knowing how to play it.” – Myiesha Carlos