- opt /opt/
- halt /hawlt/
- amid /uh-MID/
- precautionary /pri-KAW-shuh-ner-ee/
- stream /streem/
[verb] to make a choice
Heeding his doctor’s advice and a handful of prescribed medication, Levi opted to drink orange juice rather than beer.
[verb] to stop something, or to bring something to a stop
The blackout halted the party’s preparations.
[preposition] in the middle of or surrounded by
They finished the project amid the huge number of meetings and deadlines.
[adjective] intended to prevent something unpleasant or dangerous from happening
A checkpoint is one of the city’s precautionary measures for the residents’ safety.
[verb] to send sound or video on a computer, mobile phone, internet, etc.
Nina often streams her gameplays using Twitch.
The spread of the disease has affected the music industry but also allowed musicians to find a way to deliver their music. During his stream, Levit told his viewers, “It’s a sad time, it’s a weird time, but acting is better than doing nothing, let’s bring the house concert into the 21st century!” His 25-minute piano performance received 6,000 likes on Twitter. Opera houses like the Staatsoper in Austria and the Philharmonie Berlin Orchestra also streamed their performances around the world.
True or False:
- Musicians in Germany exhibited their performances online.
- Mass gatherings in Europe are stopped due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Schools, bars, museums and concert halls are closed amid the pandemic.
- Igor Levit is a European pianist who stays in Berlin.
- Levit’s piano concert was around 25 minutes.
- What are your thoughts on free online concerts?
- If you were a musician, would you try to stream your music? Please explain your answer.
- Which genre of music do you prefer to listen to? Please explain your answer.
- Do you think technology has affected the music industry? Please give 3 reasons and explain your answer.
- Have you ever visited an opera house? If yes, please share your experience. If no, would you be interested to try? Why?
Express Your Opinion:
- “Art and life are not two separate things.” – Felix Mendelssohn
- “Music is life and, like it, inextinguishable.” – Carl Nielsen
- “I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we’re from, everyone loves music.” ― Billy Joel