- reusable /re-YOO-zuh-buhl/
- nylon /NAHY-lon/
- shield /sheeld/
- official /uh-FISH-uhl/
- commotion /kuh-MOH-shuhn/
[adjective] able to be used more than once
The company will produce more reusable cups in an effort to save our environment.
[noun] an artificial substance used especially to make clothes, ropes, and brushes
The carpets in my friend’s house are made in nylon and wool.
[verb] to protect someone or something
Firefighters use protective gears to shield themselves from fire.
[noun] a person who has a position of responsibility in an organization
The company officials responded promptly to our request.
[noun] a sudden, short period of noise, confusion, or excited movement
There was a sudden commotion when the actress entered the restaurant.
It is beyond the bounds of possibility to completely shield the children from all kinds of viruses, but the mask could protect them from people who have a cough or cold. The company turned over the masks to Nishiwaki City’s Mayor Shozo Katayama and his officials on March 19 this year.
The company will distribute two masks for each student in the city. According to Shohei Utaka, the company’s chairman, this is their contribution to the community in the midst of commotion in the society due to mask shortage. He also added that the company wants the people to be healthy using their washable masks in which they can reuse. Recently, it is difficult for people to get a mask. That is why this firm tried to find ways to create a product at a low cost but is still effective.
True or False:
- The mask was made from nylon which fits perfectly onto the wearer’s face.
- The mask will not protect the children from coughs and colds.
- The company will give two masks for each student in the city.
- The company wishes the people to be healthy and safe using their masks.
- Recently, it is easy for people to purchase masks.
- In what ways can you help your community in times of commotion?
- Have you ever volunteered to help victims of natural disasters? Please explain your answer.
- Do you believe that kindness depends on the status of a person? Please explain your answer.
- What act of kindness would you like to show to other people?
- Do you think governments should do more to help people? Please explain your answer.
Express Your Opinion:
- “No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”- Charles Dickens
- “Doing nothing for others is the undoing of ourselves.” – Horace Mann
- “I cannot do all the good that the world needs. But the world needs all the good that I can do.” – Jana Stanfield