- Do you think being at home every day is lonely? Why or why not?
- What do you usually do when you’re at home?
- trend /trend/
- remotely /ri-MOHT lee/
- efficiency /ih-FISH-uh n-see/
- designate /DEZ-ig-neyt/
- etiquette /ET-i-kit/
- convenient /kuhn-VEEN-yuhnt/
[noun] – a general development or change in a situation or in the way that people are behaving
The new trend that influences teenagers is quite alarming.
[adverb] employees who work remotely work mainly from home and communicate with the company by email and telephone
She has been working remotely for five years now since becoming a freelance writer.
[noun] – the good use of time and energy in a way that does not waste any
His efficiency at work makes him finish all his tasks on time.
[verb] – to choose someone or something for a special job or purpose
The local government designates the city’s gymnasium as a training ground for their young athletes.benefit /BEN-uh-fit/Having enough sleep has a good benefit to our body.
[noun] –the set of rules or customs that control accepted behaviour in particular social groups or social situations
Not talking when your mouth is full is one of the proper eating etiquettes we observe during family dinner.
[adjective] –suitable for your purposes and needs and causing the least difficulty
It is very convenient to pay by credit card.
It seems like working remotely could be a dream come true for some employees. But if you’re the type of person who gets energized while working around other people, it could be a nightmare too.
To feel less lonely, here are some helpful practices that you could try to relieve the loneliness while working from your home sweet home.
1. Take a break
No one works for eight hours straight. Enjoy your coffee breaks to not feel sleepy throughout the day. Exchange of messages with your work friends from time to time would not decrease your efficiency at work but could help you come up with greater ideas.
2. Arrange your working area at home
Designate a certain area in your house where you could work without being disturbed by your household. It should be a place where it would feel like you’re in your own cubicle in the office but more comfortable. Don’t forget to reserve a part of your home where you could also relax and not do any work-related activities.
3. Do other things with your commute time
Not having to commute to work is probably one of the biggest benefits of working from home. You can use the commute time in doing other activities that could make you feel better like exercising or doing yoga. Anything that would clear your mind and not think about work.
4. Comply to your working schedule strictly
Even at the comfort of your own home, you need to remind yourself to act as if you are still in the office. Put away your work gadgets once you already have logged out. You also need to observe proper work etiquette and tell your housemates to give you enough space to concentrate on your work.
5. Socialize online with your co-workers
Working alone could be lonely for some but technology has made it convenient. Through video tools like Facetime and Zoom, you could interact with your colleagues and feel like you’re still physically working together. Exchanging ideas through video conferencing regularly could help ease the lack of company when you’re working remotely.
- What are the five tips mentioned in the article that could help people keep their sanity while working from home?
- What should your household do for you to stay focused on your work based on the article?
- What did the article recommend you to do in replacement with your commute time?
- What should you observe even when working from home according to the article?
- Based on the article, what could comfort and keep you company when you’re working remotely?
- Which one do you prefer the most, working in an office-based environment or working from home? Please explain your answer.
- Do you like working alone or around other people? Please explain.
- If you were to cut off the commutes part in your routine, how would you spend your time efficiently?
- Would you feel lonely and isolated if you work from home? Why or why not?
- What are the things you might do to enjoy working from home? Elaborate your answer.