- buddhist /BOO-duhst/
- engage /en-GEYJ/
- conclude /kuh n-KLOOD/
- chronic /KRON-ik/
- malady /MAL-uh-dee/
[noun] – someone who believes in Buddhism
The Japanese Tea Ceremony was developed by Zen Buddhist monks in the 16th century, and it quickly became very popular.
[verb] – to take part in something
The students will engage in volunteering activities this spring vacation.
[verb] – to decide something after studying all the information about it very carefully
The experiment concluded that the vaccine is safe for humans and animals.
[adjective] – especially of a disease or something bad continuing for a long time
He had a chronic headache that lasted for a week.
[noun] – a disease
Even the doctors cannot cure the unknown malady of the patient.
Researchers from Taiwan concluded that following a plant-based diet which includes mostly fresh fruits and vegetables, unsalted peanuts, and whole grains and oats may help reduce the risk of having a stroke. Dr. Chin-Lon Lin of Tzu Chi University in Hualien, Taiwan, the author of the study, said that “Overall, our study found that a vegetarian diet was beneficial and reduced the risk of ischemic stroke even after adjusting for known risk factors like blood pressure, blood glucose levels, and fats in the blood.” There were two types of stroke mentioned in the study, the hemorrhagic and ischemic stroke. Approximately 795,000 people suffer from stroke every year in the United States. A stroke may lead to chronic malady. The study was featured in Neurology, the medical newsletter of the American Academy of Neurology.
True or False:
- The volunteers of the study came from the Taoist communities in Taiwan.
- A plant-based diet is also called a vegetarian diet.
- Based on the article, eating raw fish and meat may help prevent having a stroke.
- Most of the participants of the research were under 50 years old.
- As mentioned in the article, the risk of having a stroke was 47% in all kinds of strokes for vegetarian people.
- Do you agree that eating more fruits and vegetables may reduce the risk of a stroke? Why or why not?
- What do you think are the other advantages of following a plant-based diet only in one’s health?
- Do you like to be a vegetarian? Why or why not?
- What kind of food do you usually prepare for yourself everyday? Elaborate your answer.
- In Japan, are most people vegetarian or non-vegetarian? Explain your answer.
Express Your Opinion:
- “Nothing will benefit human health and increase the chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet”. – Albert Einstein
- “We should all be eating fruits and vegetables as if our lives depend on it – because they do.” – Michael Greger
- “If you keep good food in your fridge, you will eat good food.” – Errick McAdams