- peril /PER-uhl/
- pandemic /pan-DEM-ik/
- curtail /ker-TEYL/
- fulfill /fool-FIL/
- endeavor /en-DEV-er/
[noun] great danger, or something that is very dangerous
His financial stability has been in peril for the past few years.
[noun] a dangerous disease that infects many people at one time
Scientists are trying their best to fight the deadly pandemic the world is currently facing.
[verb] to stop something before it is finished, or to reduce or limit something
The Congress is trying to curtail the country’s problems before the year ends.
[verb] to do something that is expected, hoped for, or promised, or to cause it to happen
He can fulfill any task that requires meticulous attention to detail.
[noun] an attempt to do something
It is proven that having a peace of mind is essential for a successful endeavor.
According to Coe, to have all the games in one season is “a headache”. He hopes the pandemic will be curtailed. He exclaimed to “forget the Olympic Games at the moment” for he is sure that most medical teams inside governments are currently trying to develop vaccines. He said, “The ambition is to get the athletes back into competition as soon as we possibly can but only when it is safe to do so.” He added that though they are trying to fulfill the best endeavors, none of them know what is going to happen in the next few periods. But in this stage, things can be organized individually as an advantage.
True or False:
- If the coronavirus pandemic cannot be controlled, the Tokyo Olympics could be in jeopardy.
- The Olympic Games will be delayed indefinitely.
- It will be impossible to run the Olympics unless successful remedies are discovered.
- According to Sebastian Coe, the Olympic games must be considered.
- Everyone knows what is going to happen in the coming months.
- Do you think the Tokyo Olympic games should be canceled until next year? Why or why not?
- Do you agree that it will be difficult to manage the Olympic games? Please explain your answer.
- Is there any way to make the Olympic Games happen this year? Explain your answer.
- In your opinion, when is the best time to hold the Tokyo Olympic Games?
- What are you expecting at the Tokyo Olympic Games? Tell me more.
Express Your Opinion:
- “Isolation gave me a whole new perspective on friendship and family.” ― Anthony T. Hincks
- “Postponing a game doesn’t mean it won’t happen again.” ― Myiesha Carlos
- “For athletes, the Olympics are the ultimate test of their worth.” ― Mary Lou Retton