- Do you donate to charities? Why or why not?
- How often do you return favors?
- fundraiser /FUHND-rey-zer/
- organizer /AWR-guh-nahy-zer/
- estimated /ES-tuh-mey-ted/
- favor /FEY-ver/
- malnutrition /mal-noo-TRISH-uhn/
[noun] – a person or event involved in collecting money for a particular purpose, especially a charity
Miyuki started a fundraiser for her little brother’s medication.
[noun] – the person or group who plans and arranges an event or activity
The event organizer handled the birthday party quite well.
[adjective] – roughly calculated or approximate
According to the report, it’ll take an estimated period of five months before we finish the project.
[noun] – a kind action that you do for someone
No need to return the favor. I did it because I simply wanted to help.
[noun] – physical weakness and bad health caused by a lack of food or by a lack of food that is good for you
Children are mostly the victims of malnutrition in most countries.
The donations serve as a way for the people of Ireland to return the favor to the Native Americans. In 1847, the Native Americans raised a total of $170—which equals to more than $5,000 today—intended “for the starving poor of Ireland” after the locals were struck with malnutrition and disease in 1845. “You helped us in our darkest hour. Honoured to return the kindness,” one message on the GoFundMe page reads. “Ireland remembers, with thanks.”
- What do the GoFundMe donations serve as?
- According to the article, how much did the fundraiser collect as of May 5?
- When did the Native Americans donate $170 to the people in Ireland?
- Based on the article, who shared the GoFundMe page on Twitter?
- How much is the equivalent of $170 in present times?
- What can you say about the Irish’s way of returning the favor to those who helped them in the past?
- With the current amount they collected, what else should the fundraiser provide to the Native Americans aside from food and water?
- Do you think it is necessary for a person to return a favor? Why or why not?
- In your opinion, what charities should people donate to? (e.g. education, the environment, etc.)
- What are the other ways on how we can help those who are in need?