- Do you watch sci-fi movies?
- Are you familiar with black holes?
- wonderful /WUHN-der-fuhl/
- afraid /uh-FREYD/
- group /groop/
- unusual / uhn-YOO-zhoo-uhl/
- middle /MID-l/
[adjective] – extremely good
The photos brought back some wonderful memories.
[adjective] – feeling fear, or feeling worry about the possible results of a particular situation
He climbed to the top of the tree and then became afraid to get down.
[noun] – a number of people or things that are put together or considered as a unit
A group of teenagers is playing video games.
[adjective] – different from others of the same type in a way that is surprising, interesting, or attractive
This ice cream has an unusual flavor.
[noun] – the central point, position, or part
This cake has a layer of fruit in the middle.
A new black hole about 1,000 light-years away from Earth was found by a group of astronomers and scientists from the European Southern Observatory (ESO) in Chile. The cosmic body that they saw was identified as a black hole, applying a new study published in Astronomy and Astrophysics following the change of position of its neighboring stars.
Scientists were trying to know the unusual behavior of the two stars in a system called HR 6819. Thomas Rivinius, an ESO scientist, said that one of the stars is rotating very fast that it’s almost flying apart. A few of them are thinking that there may be another object nearby, causing the two stars to move differently.
Rivinius and his team found out that the stars seemed to be revolving around a celestial object that was about four times or as big as the Sun. But as when they looked for the first time, there was nothing in the middle of the system. “We could exclude any type of star with that mass being present,” says Rivinius. “So if there’s something with that mass in the system, it must be a black hole.”
There’s no need to worry about this new discovery, for it is a thousand light-years away from us. But on the other side, it is a great learning that there might be even more black holes in all parts of the universe- and even our galaxy.
True or False:
- The pictures of planets, galaxies, and nebulas can make us conclude that these are wonderful creations — a mix of science and art.
- A group of astronomers and scientists from the European Southern Observatory in Argentina found a black hole near our planet.
- The black hole is 10,000 light-years away from Earth.
- Rivinius and his team found out that the stars they saw were about four times or as big as the Sun.
- Scientists were trying to know the unusual behavior of the two stars in a system called HR 6189.
Complete the sentences by using the words in the box.
- Jessica was _______ to make a speech.
- Haley’s _______ of friends attended the party.
- The weather is _______ today. It’s raining yet warm.
- There is a food stall in the _______ of the park.
- Japan is a _______ country to visit.