- What endangered animals do you know?
- How can people save animals from extinction?
- population /pop-yuh-LEY-shuhn/
- endangered /en-DEYN-jerd/
- conservation /kon-ser-VEY-shuhn/
- decline /dih-KLAYHN/
- maintain /meyn-TEYN/
[noun] – all the people or animals of a particular type or group who live in one country, area, or place
The population in Metro Manila has increased rapidly in the last 20 years.
[adjective] – animals or plants that may soon not exist because there are very few now alive
Conservationists attempt to save endangered animal species.
[noun] – the protection of plants and animals, natural areas, and interesting and important structures and buildings
Wildlife conservation is important to prevent species from going extinct.
[noun] – when something becomes less in amount, importance, quality, or strength
The country experienced the economic decline 10 years ago.
[verb] – to continue to have; to keep in existence
They maintain their friendship throughout the years.
The southwestern black rhino population has been growing over the last three generations. However, the southeastern and eastern subspecies remain endangered due to population decline from the 1970s to the 1990s. The IUCN, however, assures that the countermeasures have helped in developing the situation. Dr. Richard Emslie, Red List authority coordinator for the IUCN, said that to maintain the progress, “continued expenditure and efforts will be necessary”.
- Which animals is this news article about?
- What does IUCN stand for?
- What did the director general of IUCN say about the rhinos?
- What are the other two subspecies of the black rhino besides the southwestern black rhino?
- What is the main threat to these species based on the article?
- Do you know any animals that are endangered in your country? Please elaborate.
- How does your government protect and save species from extinction?
- Do you want to participate in organizations that aim to save animals from extinction? Why or why not?
- In the future, do you think people will be able to bring extinct animals back to life? Why or why not?
- Please give at least three reasons why we should save endangered species.