- experimental /ik-sper-uh-MEN-tl/
- streamline /STREEM-lahyn/
- regulatory /REG-yuh-luh-TO-ree/
- shot /shot/
- inoculate /ih-NOK-yuh-leyt/
[adjective] – relating to tests, especially scientific ones
The medicine is still in its experimental stage, so we cannot distribute them yet.
[verb] – to change something so that it works better, esp. by making it simpler
The car manufacturer is currently looking for ways to streamline its production.
[adjective] – of or relating to a person or organization whose job is to control an activity or process or to the regulations themselves
The medicines regulatory agency is instructed to hold off the issuing of cough drops.
[noun] – an injection
The employees are scheduled to take a flu shot this afternoon.
[verb] – to give a person or animal a vaccine
Inoculation has begun in the majority of Southeast Asian countries.
Russia was the first country in the world to introduce and license a COVID-19 vaccine in August. Sputnik V, the Russian vaccine, is currently being tested on approximately 40,000 individuals in the country, including Russian President Vladimir Putin’s daughter and Defense Minister Sergei Shoigu. Russian scientists published a data report of their earlier studies on September 4 showing that the vaccines are safe. However, experts said that the shots lack the evidence of its effectiveness due to limited results. China has been inoculating high-risk groups with their own experimental vaccines, whereas large studies to justify their safety and effectiveness are ongoing.
True or False:
- China was the first country to introduce a COVID-19 vaccine.
- The U.S. announced last August that it is revising its law in using the COVID-19 vaccines.
- WHO’s Director General had a press conference last September 4.
- Russia’s vaccine is named Sputnik V.
- WHO formally announced that it will not issue vaccines unless they are proven safe and effective.
- Some countries allow the use of vaccines despite the lack of necessary tests. What is your opinion on this?
- Do you think it is possible for the WHO approved vaccines to roll out this year? Why or why not?
- While waiting for the COVID-19 vaccines, what preventive measures have you been doing to keep yourself safe from the virus?
- Do you think the COVID-19 vaccine can be used on children? Please tell me more.
- Which do you prefer, getting vaccinated or taking medicines? Please explain your answer.
Express Your Opinion:
- “Medicine is not a book but mind, not a business but life.” – Farid F. Ibrahim
- “Carefulness costs you nothing. Carelessness may cost you your life.” – Safety saying, early 1900’s
- “At the end of the day, the goals are simple: safety and security.” – Jodi Rell