- How often do you travel?
- Do you like traveling domestically or internationally? Why?
- thwart /thwawrt/
- chance upon /chans uh-PON/
- converse /kuhn-VURS/
- cruise /krooz/
- pursuit /per-SOOT/
[verb] – to stop something from happening or someone from doing something
The government is doing their best to thwart the spread of the virus.
[phrasal verb] – to find something or meet someone by chance
If you chance upon a Japanese dictionary, please let me know.
[verb] – to have a conversation with someone
Mark enjoyed the chance to briefly converse with his favorite Japanese voice actor.
[noun] – a journey on a large ship for pleasure, during which you visit several places
Sam and Nina went on a cruise when they visited Italy.
[noun] – an activity that you spend time doing, usually when you are not working
My family likes to go on travel pursuits whenever we have the chance.
Burton is a 32-year-old man from Iowa, United States who had initial plans on going on a trip to Japan with a friend. However, the country banned travels from the U.S., and Burton’s friend decided to call off the plan. While looking for countries that don’t require any tests and where Americans are still free to enter, Burton chanced upon Turkey and chose it as his new travel destination.
“I didn’t really want to travel alone,” Burton said, “so I posted a message in the Facebook group that if anyone’s interested in coming or meeting up, or who will be in Turkey at the same time, to let me know.” The Facebook group, dedicated for travelers who need money-saving tips, was where Burton met Rocca, 36, from Denver. After reading up his post, the two conversed through private messages to discuss their travel plans and styles. She then finally decided to book the same flight to Turkey.
Their time spent together from September 5 to 12 was full of adventures, starting from Istanbul, their first destination. Burton and Rocca visited several tourist attractions in the city, such as Hagia Sophia, Taskim Square, and even went on a Bosporus Cruise. They also visited Cappadocia in central Turkey, famous for its unusual yet interesting landscape structures.
Rocca described the trip as something that exceeded her expectation, where she enjoyed her trip to Turkey and formed a wonderful bond with Burton. But, does their friendship end here? The answer is no. “In fact, we have even discussed setting up a business together to help others find great deals and travel buddies. We’re going to name it Vacation Pursuit. So, watch this space!”, Burton said.
- Where did Burton first meet Rocca?
- What country did Burton choose as his new travel destination?
- What are the pair going to name their business together?
- How many days did Burton and Rocca stay in Turkey?
- Aside from tourist spots in Istanbul, where else did the pair go?
- What is your opinion about the two strangers traveling together?
- Why do you think Rocca agreed to travel with Burton despite knowing that he is a stranger?
- Would you rather travel alone or with someone/a group? Please tell me more.
- Do you think finding friends online is safe? Please explain your answer.
- Do you agree that friendship sometimes comes in unexpected ways? Why or why not?