- sustainable /suh-STEY-nuh-buhl/
- to-and-fro /TOO-uhn-FROH/
- emission /ih-MISH-uhn/
- address /uh-DRES/
- greenhouse gas /GREEN-hous gas/
[adjective] – causing little or no damage to the environment and therefore able to continue for a long time
More and more aviation companies are using sustainable fuel to help reduce air pollution.
[adverb] – in one direction and then in the opposite direction, a number of times
Today, my family and I are scheduled to travel to-and-fro Osaka and Tokyo.
[noun] – an amount of gas, heat, light, etc. that is sent out
There should be more laws about controlling carbon dioxide emissions.
[verb] – to give attention to or deal with a matter or problem
To solve a problem, it has to be addressed with the others as soon as possible.
[noun] – one of several gases, especially carbon dioxide, that prevent heat from the earth escaping into space, causing the greenhouse effect
According to research, carbon dioxide is the main greenhouse gas.
In January, Microsoft announced that the company plans to remove planet-heating carbon dioxide to address its greenhouse gas emissions. Its first step is by taking fewer business flights and using cleaner fuels to lessen pollution. “We hope this sustainable aviation fuel model will be used by other companies as a way to reduce the environmental impact of their business travel,” Judson Althoff, executive vice president of Microsoft, stated.
True or False:
- Microsoft plans to use cleaner-burning fuel for their personal flights.
- The Dutch SAF company mentioned that plant oil fuel has 75% more carbon dioxide emissions than the traditional one.
- Alaska Airlines will operate the new flights between Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and San Francisco, San Jose, and Los Angeles international airports.
- Microsoft’s first step in helping reduce planet-heating CO2 is by using cleaner fuels on their planes.
- The cleaner-burning fuel that Microsoft will use will be made in the U.S.
- What is your opinion about using cooking or plant oil as fuels for flights?
- What do you think should Microsoft do next if their first step in reducing planet-heating CO2 emissions becomes successful?
- Should cooking and/or plant oil fuel be used on other modes of transportation as well? Please explain your answer.
- Aside from using less-polluting fuel, what else can be done to reduce CO2 emissions?
- As an individual, what can you contribute for the environment’s improvement?
Express Your Opinion:
- “The environment is where we all meet; where we all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.” — Lady Bird Johnson
- “What’s the use of a fine house if you haven’t got a tolerable planet to put it on.” — Henry David Thoreau
- “We won’t have a society if we destroy the environment.” — Margaret Mead