- endeavor /en-DEV-er/
- carbon-neutral /KAHR-buhn-NOO-truhl/
- emission /ih-MISH-uhn/
- embrace /em-BREYS/
- accomplish /uh-KOM-plish/
[verb] – to try to do something
Engineers are endeavouring to find out the source of the problem.
[adjective] – if a person, organization, event, etc. is carbon-neutral, it does things such as planting trees to reduce carbon dioxide by the same amount as it produces it
Denmark is the biggest carbon-neutral country on Earth.
[noun] – the act of sending out gas, heat, light, etc.
The emission of greenhouse gases must be reduced.
[verb] – to accept something enthusiastically
Children are always eager to embrace the latest technology.
[verb] – to finish something successfully or to achieve something
They accomplished the task in less than five minutes.
Greenpeace embraced Suga’s plan, saying it is “precisely the kind of action the world needs” — but advised that the responsibility must be done with order. Japan said beforehand that it would be carbon-neutral as early as possible by the year 2050, rather than set an exact date. To accomplish its intentions, Suga announced that new solar cells and carbon recycling would be important, and Japan would increase research and development, along with digitalizing society.
True or False:
- Greenpeace is an environmental organization.
- Yoshihide Suga declared that Japan will endeavor to shift to carbon-neutral by 2021.
- Greenpeace accepted Suga’s plan, saying it is “precisely the kind of action the world needs.”
- Japan is the world’s fifth-biggest emitter of carbon dioxide.
- Suga told Japan’s government Monday that his administration would do their best to actualize the green society by establishing a virtuous cycle in the economy and the environment.
- How did you feel after reading the article?
- Would you like to be a part of an environmental organization? Why?
- Why is it important to lessen the emission of greenhouse gases?
- In your own little way, how would you contribute to help the environment?
- In your opinion, what kind of person is Yoshihide Suga?
Express Your Opinion:
- ”We’ve got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?” – Lee Iacocca
- ”We have lived with deadly levels of air pollution for years, which have made us more vulnerable to coronavirus.” – Caroline Lucas
- ”With pollution from traffic a major source of greenhouse gas emissions, we should be building a transport and planning system that makes car-free travel for shorter distances the norm for the majority.” – Caroline Lucas