- mortality /mawr-TAL-i-tee /
- conclude/kuh n-KLOOD/
[verb] – to control or influence something directly, or to decide what will happen
Physical characteristics are genetically determined.
[noun] – the way that people do not live forever
The pandemic made him more aware of his own mortality.
[verb] – to connect someone or something in your mind with someone or something else
I am truly proud to be associated with this wonderful project.
[verb] – to have a particular opinion about something after thinking carefully about it
We can conclude that it has significantly affected our sales performance this year.
[adverb] – only and not involving anyone or anything else
He bought this computer solely for business purposes.
Preliminary studies have discovered that chilis have anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, and blood glucose regulating properties. This is due to its active component “capsaicin” that gives the characteristics of spiciness and burning sensation. “We were surprised to find that in these previously published studies, regular consumption of chili pepper was associated with an overall risk-reduction of all-cause, cardiovascular disease and cancer mortality,” said by its senior author Bo Xu, Cleveland Clinic’s Heart, Vascular & Thoracic Institute cardiologist. He added that even though the data is showing that people who consume chilis on a regular basis have lower risks of acquiring certain diseases, it cannot be concluded that it is solely because of it. Factors such as diet and lifestyle play an important role as well. The team continues to study the data and plans to publish a full paper once finished.
True or False:
- The study will be presented at the American Health Association’s Scientific Sessions 2021.
- Chilis have anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, anti-cancer, and blood glucose regulating properties.
- Capsaicin gives chilis its spiciness and burning sensation.
- Individuals who eat chili regularly have lower risk of getting a disease.
- The team still continues to research and aims to publish a full paper soon.
- If given a chance, would you also like to be a participant in a test similar in the article? Why or why not?
- Why do you think some people like to eat spicy food? Explain your answer.
- What spicy foods are usually eaten in your country?
- What foods do you usually eat in a daily basis?
- How can people practice mindful eating?
Express Your Opinion:
- “Keeping your body healthy is an expression of gratitude to the whole cosmos- the trees, the clouds, everything.” – Thich Nhat Hanh
- “Good health is not something we can buy. However, it can be an extremely valuable savings account.”-Anne Wilson Schaef
- “Healthy citizens are the greatest asset any country can have.” – Winston Churchill