- pioneer /pahy-uh-NEER/
- genetic /juh-NET-ik/
- prominent /PROM-uh-nuhnt/
- vaccine /vak-SEEN/
- equipped /ih-KWIPT/
[noun] – a person who is one of the first people to do something
He is one of the pioneers of modern biology.
[adjective] – belonging or relating to genes (= parts of the DNA in cells) received by each animal or plant from its parents
The illness is a genetic inheritance.
[adjective] – very well known and important
Vietnam is a prominent member of the ASEAN.
[noun] –a substance containing a virus or bacterium in a form that is not harmful, given to a person or animal to prevent them from getting the disease that the virus or bacterium causes
This vaccine is the only solution against some kinds of the bacteria.
[adjective] – having the skills needed to do something
He is equipped to be our company’s president.
Sahin emphasized the value of the news — and posted a message of hope for the world. “I think the good message for mankind is that we now understand that COVID-19 infections can be indeed prevented by a vaccine,” he said. Albert Bourla, Pfizer’s CEO called it “the greatest medical advance” in the past 100 years. While the vaccine is an enormous move for the scientific community, Sahin and Tureci are experts in the world of medical achievements. The couple, both equipped physicians, established their former company, Ganymed Pharmaceuticals, in 2001 to work on improving cancer-fighting antibodies, finally marketing it for $1.4 billion in 2016.
True or False:
- According to Sahin, COVID-19 infections can be indeed prevented by a vaccine.
- Scientists Ugur Sahin and Ozlem Tureci established Pfizer in the central German city of Mainz in 2008.
- BioNTech and Pfizer are sister companies.
- Albert Bourla, Pfizer’s CEO called the vaccine “the greatest medical advance.”
- The couple has given their lives to the study of treatment of tumors (masses of cells) in the body and infectious illnesses.
- What do you think about the newly made vaccine?
- Why did Scientists Ugur Sahin and Ozlem Tureci become famous today?
- Why do think the vaccine is the greatest medical advance in the past 100 years?
- How did you feel after reading the article?
- If you were the CEO of Pfizer, how would you describe the vaccine?
Express Your Opinion:
- ”Vaccines are the most cost-effective health care interventions there are. A dollar spent on a childhood vaccination not only helps save a life, but greatly reduces spending on future healthcare.” – Ezekiel Emanuel
- ”If you want to know the value of vaccines, just spend some time in a clinic in Africa. The faces of the mothers and fathers say it all: vaccines prevent illness and save lives.” – Seth Berkley
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/topics/vaccines-quotes
- ”Every year, millions of vaccines get wasted due to inadequate storage facilities. India is a focus for us, as this is a very big challenge for the country as well as other countries across the globe.” – Jamshyd Godrej