©Alamy via BBC
- Do you work/study from home?
- What do you do to stay focused?
- topic /TOP-ik/
- argue /AHR-gyoo/
- lack /lak/
- routine /roo-TEEN/
- noise /noiz/
[noun] – a subject that is discussed, written about, or studied
It’s time to pick new topics for next week’s discussion.
[verb] – to speak angrily to someone, telling that person that you disagree with them
Molly and Ted are arguing over the phone again.
[noun] – that fact that something is not available or that there is not enough of it
Mike’s main problem is lack of money.
[noun] – a usual or fixed way of doing things
Stretching is a part of my morning routine.
[noun] – (a) sound, esp. when it is unwanted, pleasant, or loud
Noise pollution is becoming a serious problem.
Australian psychologist John Sweller says that our recent lack of focus has something to do with “Cognitive Load Theory” (CLT). This means that if we’re facing a new or unfamiliar problem, we find it difficult to do our tasks automatically because it’s not part of our daily routine. For example, instead of just attending meetings with a journal or laptop, we now have to check our internet connection, environment, and the video conferencing software.
There are two things for us to stay focused. One, planning: Create a new routine suitable for our work-at-home setup. Two, discipline: Work in an environment far from distractions such as noises or even the TV. Also, separate your work schedule from your personal one. Try these two ways and see if they help in maintaining your focus.
True or False:
- CLT states that it is easier for us to do things automatically if we are faced with a new problem.
- One way to stay focused during the work-from-home setup is to be near your TV while working.
- Topics about maintaining focus have been popular since the start of the pandemic and lockdowns.
- John Sweller is an Australian psychologist.
- Now, when attending meetings, we have to check our internet connection.
Fill in the blanks:
- _____ of water will affect the plant’s growth.
- It took me a week to get used to my new daily _____.
- What’s our next _____ for our presentation next week?
- Claude mentioned that he’s scared of sudden _____.
- Don’t _____ with your parents.