- What is the largest animal you have seen in person?
- Do you like going to zoos or safaris? Why or why not?
- severely /suh-VEER-lee/
- decline /dih-KLAHYN/
- contribute /kuhn-TRIB-yoot/
- positive /POZ-i-tiv/
- recovery /ri-KUHV-uh-ree/
[adverb] – very seriously
The accident left the students severely traumatized.
[verb] – to gradually become less, worse, or lower
Danica’s interest in the project declined when she became busy with her part-time job.
[verb] – to give something, especially money, in order to provide or achieve something together with other people
Newton’s discoveries contributed a lot in the field of science.
[adjective] – full of hope and confidence, or giving cause for hope and confidence
Edward has a positive outlook on life.
[noun] – a process in which a situation improves after a difficult period, or in which prices increase after falling in value
After the pandemic, the economy is showing signs of recovery.
Dr. Jennifer Jackson, whale ecologist and co-author of the study hopes that the increased numbers of blue whales are signs that the research can contribute to the effective management of the area. Susannah Calderan, lead author of the study said that the return of the blue whales has a positive impact on the environment. She mentioned that they fertilize the oceans and enable the growth of phytoplankton which is a source of food for other species. The discovery marked the start of the recovery of blue whales, which were once thought to never repopulate the area.
- When was whaling or commercial whale hunting banned?
- How many whale huntings happened between 1904-1971?
- In the article, what does Dr. Jackson hope for?
- What is the blue whale’s positive impact in the area?
- Who is the study’s lead author?
- What is the significance of the blue whale study?
- What do you think will happen if blue whales become completely extinct?
- Which animals, fish and plants do you think are most endangered?
- Why are so many species becoming endangered?
- How important is it to teach children about endangered species?