© Maxime Aubert
- Who are some of the most famous painters in your country?
- Do you like drawing? Why or why not?
- discover /dih-SKUHV-er/
- locate /loh-KEYT/
- pigment /PIG-muhnt/
- capable /KEY-puh-buhl /
- sight /sahyt/
[verb] – to find information, a place, or an object, especially for the first time
The children discovered many things about their hometown.
[verb] – to be in a particular place
Our office is located in the capital.
[noun] – a substance that gives something a particular color when it is present in it or is added to it
Bright pigments were used in the painting.
[adjective] – able to do things effectively and skilfully, and to achieve results
Leah is a very capable employee.
[noun] – the ability to see
People with poor eyesight should not drive cars.
Aubert shared in an interview with the Science Advances journal that people during that time were already “modern”. They were already capable and could use tools to create paintings that they liked. The painting gives evidence of human settlement in the region, filling out blank spaces in archeological records. Adam Brumm, co-author of the study, believes that there are older artworks in the area that are waiting to be discovered. “It just shows how much artwork is there waiting to be found on this island. It’s hiding in plain sight.”
- Where was the oldest known painting discovered?
- The painting was believed to be how old now?
- What kind of colors did they use for the artwork?
- What did Brumm say about the artworks in the area?
- What did Aubert comment about these early humans?
- What can you say about this latest discovery?
- What does this discovery say about the life of early humans?
- Are you interested in history? Why or why not?
- What for you is the most interesting human discovery? Why?
- In your opinion, why do we need to study old artifacts?