- decipher /dih-SAHY-fer/
- notify /NOH-tuh-fahy/
- power /POU-er/
- monitor /MON-i-ter/
- market /MAHR-kit/
[verb] – to discover the meaning of something written badly or in a difficult or hidden way
Can you decipher the writing on the prescription?
[verb] – to tell someone officially about something
Has everyone in the team been notified of the decision?
[verb] – to provide a machine with energy and the ability to operate
Trucks are usually powered by diesel engines.
[verb] – to watch and check a situation carefully for a period of time in order to discover something about it
This device can monitor blood pressure.
[noun] – the people who might want to buy something, or a part of the world where something is sold
The market is slowly picking up one year after the pandemic.
Andrew Gil, the firm’s global marketing director said, “More people began to adopt dogs, but unfortunately some of them abandoned their dogs due to miscommunication.” He added that it has an important role in pandemic as it helps owners understand their dogs better and increase their bonding. The global demand for pet care products rose to $138 billion according to the market research of Euromonitor data. The dog population around the world also grew to 489 million or about 18%.
True or False:
- A South African firm created a smart collar that can translate emotions in dogs’ barks.
- The collar works by sending emails to the pet owners.
- The device has an 80% accuracy rate.
- The device also acts as a physical activity tracker for the dogs.
- The dog population around the world decreased by 18%.
Situation: You are in front of a class and will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of having a pet.
Question: What are the advantages and disadvantages of having a pet?
- The pros are…
- On the other hand, the cons are…
Express Your Opinion:
- “You want a friend in Washington? Get a dog.”
– Harry S Truman
- “To his dog, every man is Napoleon; hence the constant popularity of dogs.”
– Aldous Huxley
- “A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself.”
– Josh Billings