- Have you seen a dam before?
- What do you do to stay prepared for natural disasters?
- dam /dam/
- glacier /GLEY-sher/
- unable /uhn-EY-buhl/
- rescue mission /RES-kyoo MISH-uhn/
- accident /AK-si-duhnt/
[noun] – a wall built across a river to stop the flow and collect the water, esp. to make a reservoir (= an artificial lake) that provides water for an area or can be used to make electricity
Local officials building a new dam in the city.
[noun] – a large mass of ice that moves slowly
You can see a glacier from here.
[verb] – not able
Matt was unable to submit his homework.
[noun] – a mission, operation to reach and rescue people in urgent need, as after a disaster.
They are having problems continuing the rescue mission.
[noun] – something bad that happens that is not expected or intended and that often damages something or injures someone
The accident completely damaged my car.
True or False:
- A dam in India bursts open when a Himalayan glacier fell into a river.
- The accident happened at 11:00 a.m. Japan local time.
- According to a witness, they were unable to sound the alarm on time.
- Rescue missions are ongoing.
- Authorities said that the main flood danger has already passed.
Fill in the blanks:
- The _____ is still under construction.
- The team was _____ to finish their tasks on time.
- I heard you got into an _____. Are you okay?
- The _____ will continue tomorrow according to authorities.
- Due to global warming, several _____ are melting.