- deluge /DEL-yooj/
- on the lookout /on thuh LOOK-out/
- torrent /TAWR-uhnt/
- stand with /stand with/
- cripple /KRIP-uhl/
[noun] – a very large amount of rain or water
There’s a typhoon today. Be careful not to get caught in the deluge.
[phrasal noun] – to search for something or someone
Richard is constantly on the lookout for a new recipe to try.
[noun] – a large stream of water that moves very fast
Due to the incident, the river became a raging torrent.
[idiom] – to be or remain united (in support of or opposition to something)
They promised to stand together with the new education system.
[verb] – to cause serious damage to someone or something, making him, her, or it weak and not effective
Ever since he was crippled, he no longer showed interest in stage acting.
The floodwater along the Dhauliganga river crippled another power project in the Tapovan area. One witness mentioned that the flash flood was similar to a Bollywood scene film. According to the authorities, the main flood danger had already passed. The neighboring state of Uttar Pradesh has put its riverside areas on high alert for flooding. Experts continue their rescue efforts and investigation on the incident.
True or False:
- The Rishiganga Hydroelectric Project dam is located in the Tapovan area.
- According to the Uttarakhand police, the incident happened at around 11:00 a.m. local time in India.
- The floodwater along the Dhauliganga river damaged another power project.
- One of the witnesses said that the authorities had enough time to sound the alarm.
- Uttar Pradesh has put its riverside areas on high alert for flooding.
Situation: You are going to make a report about the effects of flooding.
Question: What are the effects of flooding and what can we do to prevent or minimize them?
Express Your Opinion:
- “Sometimes it takes a natural disaster to reveal a social disaster.” — Jim Wallis
- “Any disaster is a learning process” — Julia Child
- “The Earth does not belong to us: we belong to the Earth.” — Marlee Matlin