- What are common natural disasters in your country?
- What do you do to help save the environment?
- evacuate /ih-VAK-yoo-eyt/
- avalanche /AV-uh-lanch/
- incident /IN-si-duhnt/
- compare /kuhm-PAIR/
- riverside /RIV-er-sahyd/
[verb] – to move people from a dangerous place to somewhere safe
People in the building were urged to evacuate the area immediately.
[noun] – a large amount of ice, snow, dirt, or rock falling suddenly and quickly down the side of a mountain
They were able to escape the avalanche in the ski resort yesterday afternoon.
[noun] – an event that is either unpleasant or unusual
There were several misinformation about the incident.
[verb] – to consider or suggest that something is similar or equal to something else
She compared his singing to a nightingale.
[noun] – the land along the edges of a river
Let’s have our picnic by the riverside.
The flash flood along the Dhauliganga river damaged another power project in the Tapovan area. One of the witnesses compared the incident to a Bollywood movie scene. The main flood danger has already passed according to authorities, but the riverside areas of the neighboring state of Uttar Pradesh are put on high alert for flooding. Rescue efforts and investigation of the incident are still ongoing.
- What caused the Rishiganga Hydroelectric Project dam in Uttarakhand to burst open?
- Has the main flood danger already passed or not?
- At around what time did the incident happen according to the police report?
- What state in India has put its riverside areas on high alert for flooding?
- What did one witness say about the avalanche of rocks and water?
- Do you agree that global warming is the main cause of the Himalayan glacier falling on a river? Why or why not?
- What do you think the authorities would do to avoid this incident from happening again?
- What can you do to stay safe during and after a natural disaster?
- What is your ideal environment? Please tell me more about it.
- Do you think technology can help lessen the damage caused by natural disasters? If yes, how? If no, why not?