© via bbc.com
- expedition /ek-spi-DISH-uhn/
- feed on /FEED ohn/
- violate /VAHY-uh-leyt/
- miniaturize /MIN-ee-uh-chuh-rahyz/
- be subject to sth /be SUHB-jikt to/
[noun] – an organized journey for a particular purpose
The Thai expedition to Mount Everest is leaving next week.
[phrasal verb] – to eat something
The beef cattle feed on grass and soya meal.
[verb] – to break or act against something such as a law, agreement, or principle
These clothes violate her sense of good taste.
[verb] – to make a very small version of something, especially using modern technology
New technology continues to miniaturize computer components.
[phrasal verb] – to have or experience a particular thing, especially something unpleasant
Cars are subject to a high domestic tax.
Dr. Mark Scherz, one of the researchers in the expedition called it “a spectacular case of extreme miniaturization.” He added that it violates the pattern of smallest species being discovered in small islands, suggesting that there is another cause that allows such species to miniaturize. According to the Scientific Reports Journal, the scientists recommended that the newly-discovered chameleon be listed as one of the critically endangered species to help protect the animals and their habitat. The nano-chameleon is only known from a degraded rainforest in northern Madagascar and might be threatened by extinction. Scientist at the Center of Natural History in Hamburg, Oliver Hawlitschek, said: “The nano-chameleon’s habitat has unfortunately been subject to deforestation, but the area was placed under protection recently, so the species will survive.”
True or False:
- A German-Madagascan expedition has discovered what is believed to be the smallest mammal in the world.
- The male nano-chameleon is smaller than its female counterpart.
- The newly-discovered specie eats mites that can be found on the rainforest floor.
Situation: You are in front of the class. Give a short speech about why protecting rainforests is important.
- Rainforests are important because…
- It also provides us…
- Therefore, we need to…
Express Your Opinion:
- “Never underestimate the power of thought; it is the greatest path to discovery.” – Idowu Koyenikan
- “It’s life that matters, nothing but life—the process of discovering, the everlasting and perpetual process, not the discovery itself, at all.” – Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- “It’s the unknown that draws people.” – E.A. Bucchianeri