© via bbc.com
- When was the last time you have visited a zoo?
- Would you like to keep an exotic pet? Why or why not?
- diet /DAHY-it /
- spectacular /spek-TAK-yuh-ler/
- extreme /ik-STREEM/
- previously /PREE-vee-uhs/
- allow /uh-LOU/
[noun] – the food and drink usually eaten or drunk by a person or group
Diet varies between different countries in the world.
[adjective] – especially great
The company had a spectacular success with the product.
[adjective] – very large in amount or degree
The people in this area live in extreme poverty.
[adverb] – before the present time or the time referred to
Nathan was previously employed as a bartender in a cruise ship.
[verb] – to make it possible for something to be done or to happen
Make sure to allow some room in your bags if you want to bring home some souvenirs.
One of the study’s researchers, Dr. Mark Scherz, called this “a spectacular case of extreme miniaturization”. Previously, researchers have thought that there is a pattern of the smallest species being discovered in small islands, but this discovery contradicts it. The study suggests that there is another cause that allows such species to become extremely small. In their report, the scientists recommended that the newly-discovered chameleon be placed under critically endangered species. Oliver Hawlitschek, a scientist at the Center of Natural History in Hamburg said that the nano-chameleon’s habitat has become a victim of deforestation but since the area was placed under protection recently, the species will still survive.
- Who discovered the new chameleon sub-species?
- What is the size of the nano-chameleon?
- How many species are included in the Bavarian State collection of Zoology?
- What did Dr. Mark Scherz say about this discovery?
- Is the newly-discovered species in danger of extinction?
- In your opinion, why do we need to discover new species of plants and animals?
- What can we do to avoid the bad effects of deforestation?
- Do you like studying science? Why or why not?
- In your opinion what has been the most important scientific discovery ever? Why?
- If you could contribute something to science or medicine, what would you do and why?