- in the works /in thuh wurks/
- operating system /OP-uh-rey-ting SIS-tuhm/
- wearable /WAIR-uh-buhl/
- initiative /ih-NISH-uh-tiv/
- augmented reality /AWG-men-ted ree-AL-i-tee/
[phrase, idiom] – in the process of being planned or done
A recent report said that the software upgrades are in the works.
[noun] – a program that controls the way a computer works, and that allows applications (= programs for particular purposes) to work on it
What’s the operating system of your new Windows computer?
[noun] – something that can be worn that contains computer technology or can connect to the internet
My brother likes collecting wearable devices like smartwatches.
[noun] – a new plan or process to achieve something or solve a problem
We need a new initiative to enhance our sales further.
[noun] – images produced by a computer and used together with a view of the real world
Some video and mobile phone nowadays use augmented reality.
The new smartwatch is created as Facebook’s effort to expand its consumer hardware. Facebook has more than 6,000 employees working on experimental initiatives under its Reality Labs Division. The device will be included in the company’s collection of other wearable devices, such as Facebook’s Oculus VR headsets and Portal video chat. Furthermore, the company is working on Ray-Ban smart glasses scheduled to come out later this year, as well as Project Aria, a research project for augmented reality (AR) glasses.
True or False:
- Facebook has less than 6,000 working to expands its consumer hardware.
- Facebook’s new Android-based smartwatch is set to be available next year.
- The smartwatch has wellness and fitness features only.
- Project Aria is Facebook’s research project for AR glasses.
- Facebook is also planning to create its own operating system.
Situation: You are explaining the importance of advanced technology to your friend.
Question: What are the benefits of modern technology and hardware?
- innovative approaches
- effective communication
Express Your Opinion:
- “Technology is best when it brings people together” — Matt Mullenweg
- “The real danger is not that computers will begin to think like men, but that men will begin to think like computers.” — Sydney Harris
- “The most important thing about technology is how it changes people.” — Jaron Lanier