© Shunsuke Tabeta via Nikkei Asia
- question /KWES-chuhn/
- subsidy /SUHB-si-dee /
- revenue /REV-uhn-yoo/
- combat /KOM-bat/
- lead /leed/
[verb] – to express doubts about the value or truth of something
When he was questioned in front of the press, the minister retracted his allegations.
[noun] – money given as part of the cost of something, to help or encourage it to happen
The farmers in the area are eligible for the government subsidy.
[noun] – the income that a government or company receives regularly
Their company’s revenue fell dramatically.
[verb] – to try to stop something unpleasant or harmful from happening or increasing
Mr. And Mrs. Robinson invested their money in the stock market to combat inflation.
[noun] – a winning position during a race or other situation where people are competing
Jeon Jungkook held onto the lead until the final lap.
China, the world’s largest car market and the source of more than a fifth of Tesla’s revenue, is stepping up its efforts to raise electric vehicle sales in order to combat the country’s problems in pollution. Although it clearly lags behind Tesla in terms of battery, range, and efficiency, car experts say its simplicity and low price have made it one of China’s most common “new-energy” vehicles. “China’s government is serious about pollution reduction and becoming the global lead in adopting and promoting innovation of electric vehicles,” Shaun Rein said, the managing director of the Market Research Group in China.
True or False:
- SAIC Motor is a private automaker company.
- SAIC Motor’s Hong Guang mini outsold Tesla last January.
- Tesla’s cheapest model is eight times more expensive than the Hong Guang model.
- Tesla’s only competitor in China is SAIC Motor.
- The Chinese government is serious in reducing pollution brought by cars.
Situation: You are persuading your relatives to consider getting an electric car instead of a conventional one.
Question: How will you convince your family and peers to consider purchasing an electric vehicle instead of a conventional one?
- I think you should also consider…
- better in a lot of aspects such as
Express Your Opinion:
- “The time is right for electric cars – in fact the time is critical.”
– Carlos Ghosn
- “We will not stop until every car on the road is electric”
– Elon Musk, CEO Tesla
- “A transition to clean energy is about making an investment in our future.”
– Gloria Reuben