© Shunsuke Tabeta via Nikkei Asia
- What kind of energy sources do you know?
- Are there many electric vehicles in your country?
- automaker /AW-toh-mey-ker/
- outsell /out-SEL/
- compare /kuhm-PAIR/
- unit /YOO-nit/
- demand /dih-MAND/
[noun] – a big company that makes car
The country’s leading automaker set an all-time monthly sales record this month.
[verb] – (of a product) to be sold in greater numbers than another product
MP3s soon began to outsell CDs.
[verb] – to examine or look for the difference between two or more things
This store’s prices are high compared to what some other stores charge.
[noun] – a single product considered as part of the total number of products that a company manufactures or sells
Due to the pandemic, the company cut domestic production to 3.1 million units this year.
[noun] – a need for something to be sold or supplied
There was little demand for tickets.
China is the world’s largest car market and it is also the source of a fifth of Tesla’s sales. Since the Chinese government stepped up its efforts in fighting pollution, sales of local electric vehicles have continued to rise. It may be behind Tesla in terms of battery, range, and efficiency but its simplicity and low price have made it one of China’s most common “new energy” vehicles.
- What company is now outselling Tesla-made cars in China?
- How many Hong Guang Minis were sold last January?
- How much does a Hong Guang Mini cost?
- Aside from SAIC Motor, what other companies are competing with Tesla in China?
- When did they see a rise in electric car purchases in China?
- What factors made the SAIC Motor’s Hong Guang mini model outsell the leading EV company Tesla, in China?
- Why did the Chinese government urge its citizens to purchase electric vehicles instead?
- Do you think more people would buy electric vehicles in the future? Why or why not?
- What factors do people consider before purchasing a car?
- Would you consider buying an electric car instead of a conventional diesel-powered one? Why or why not?