- What do you know about India?
- Would you like to go to India someday?
- confusion /pronunciation/
- seriously /pronunciation/
- exhaustion /ig-ZAWA-chuhn/
- occur /uh-KUR/
- domestic / duh-MES-tik/
[noun] – a situation in which people do not understand what is happening, what they should do or who someone or something is
The country was in confusion due to the number of Covid-19 cases.
[adverb] – badly or severely
He wasn’t seriously hurt, just had a lot of cuts and bruises.
[noun] – the state of being extremely tired
She felt sick from exhaustion.
[verb] – (especially of accidents and other unexpected events) to happen
Consult your doctor immediately if any of these symptoms occur when you are taking the drug.
[adjective] – relating to a person’s own country
Domestic flights have already resumed.
The country today looks very different. Every day, new cases have occurred, decreasing from a peak of over 90,000 infections in September to just over 10,000 a day in February. On February 9, the capital Delhi recorded zero virus deaths for the first time in nearly nine months, according to COVID19INDIA, a website crowdsourcing Covid-19 data from official sources.
This has all occurred without drastic measures like circuit-breaker lockdowns, which have been used to get outbreaks under control in places such as New Zealand and Australia. The Indian government is still imposing some social distance restrictions and it has worked to help overstretched hospitals, but the economy has reopened, domestic travel has resumed, and people mostly go about their daily lives. It is not likely that the recovery is due to vaccination, either. By August, India had started its vaccination program to inoculate 300 million people, but it is still lagging compared to wealthier nations. Experts speculate that many factors, such as the country’s younger population or the likelihood of rising immunity in urban areas, are likely to be behind the decline in the number of cases in India.
- According to the article, when was India in the state of confusion?
- What was the reason the doctors collapsed?.
- What is COVID19INDIA?
- Did the government of India implement drastic measures like circuit-breaker lockdowns?
- What is the Indian government still imposing today?
- How did you feel after reading the article?
- Would it be better if India were able to implement circuit-breaker lockdowns? Why do you think so?
- Do you agree that rising immunity in urban areas was one of the reasons why the cases dropped? Why or why not?
- Do you think you are immune from coronavirus? Why or why not?
- How do you take care of yourself during these times?