- When was the last time you experienced an earthquake?
- Do you have earthquake drills in your country?
- happen /HAP-uhn/
- large /lahrj/
- shock /shok/
- report /ri-PAWRT/
[verb] – (of a situation or an event) to have existence or come into existence
Anything could happen in the next half hour.
[adjective] – big in size or amount
He owns the world’s largest computer manufacturer.
[noun] – a city that is the center of government of a country or smaller political area
Australia’s capital city is Canberra.
[noun] – (the emotional or physical reaction to) a sudden, unexpected, and usually unpleasant event or experience
Her mother’s death came as a great shock – it was so unexpected.
[verb] – to give a description of something or information about it to someone
The crime was reported in all the newspapers.
True or False:
- 170,000 earthquakes struck the southwestern area of Reykjanes, according to the Icelandic Meteorological Office.
- The largest quake, measuring 5.6 on the Richter scale, struck on the morning of February 24.
- Reykjavik is Iceland’s capital city.
- On February 27 and March 1, two larger earthquakes with magnitudes of over 6.0 struck.
- The quakes have caused little damage so far.
Fill in the blanks:
- He _____ in class today.
- Something extraordinary _____ today at work.
- She was in _____ when I visited her.
- This is _____than that building.
- Manila is the _____ city of the Philippines.