- What should you do if there is an earthquake?
- Have you already experienced an earthquake? Tell me about it.
- earthquake /URTH-kweyk/
- affect /uh-FEKT/
- violent /VAHY-uh-luhnt/
- minor /MAHY-ner/
- confirm /kuhn-FURM/
[noun] – a sudden violent movement of the earth’s surface, sometimes causing great damage
In 1991, an earthquake destroyed much of Luzon.
[verb] – to have an influence on someone or something, or to cause a change in someone or something
The disease affects older people.
[adjective] – sudden or powerful
He yells a lot but I don’t think he’s ever been physically violent toward her.
[adjective] – having little importance, influence, or effect, especially when compared with other things of the same type
She suffered only minor injuries from the car accident.
[verb] – to prove or say that something is true
His appointment has not been confirmed by the Senate.
Two larger earthquakes with magnitudes of over 5.0 struck on February 27 and March 1. While minor cracks in local roads and rockfalls on steep slopes near the swarm’s epicenter have been confirmed by Iceland’s Road and Coastal Administration, the quakes have caused little damage so far. Reykjavik resident Auður Alfa Ólafsdóttir said that she had experienced earthquakes before but never so many in a row. She added that it was very unusual to feel the Earth shake 24 hours a day for a whole week. It made her feel very small and powerless against nature. The tremors have been felt by residents of Grindavk, a fishing area. Páll Valur Björnsson, a deputy member of Parliament and a professor at the local College of Fisheries said that he had never seen anything like that before. He also added that the earthquakes started a year ago, but they are more intense now compared before.
- According to the Icelandic Meteorological Office, how many earthquakes hit Iceland?
- What region of Iceland was affected by the earthquake?
- According to the article, what was confirmed by Iceland’s Road and Coastal Administration?
- Who said this statement: “It makes you feel very small and powerless against nature.”
- How did Páll Valur Björnsson describe the incident?
- In your opinion, what are the causes of the continuous earthquakes in Iceland?
- How would you describe the incident that happened in Iceland?
- What do you do to prepare for strong earthquakes?
- How important is an earthquake drill?
- Are you familiar with the steps of an earthquake drill? Tell me about it.