© Kyodo News
- exclude /ik-SKLOOD/
- emergence /ih-MUR-juhns/
- body /BOD-ee/
- restriction /ri-STRIK-shuhn/
- stage /steyj/
[verb] – to prevent someone or something from entering a place or taking part in an activity
First-year students are excluded from the club.
[noun] – the fact of something becoming known or starting to exist
The emergence of new coronavirus strains continues to concern the public.
[noun] – a group of people who have joined together for a particular reason
He is a part of the advisory body.
[noun] – an official limit on something
The prime minister lifted the trade restrictions.
[verb] – to organize an event
London staged the Olympic Games nine years ago.
The organizers looked at a variety of options at the same time, including conducting the games behind closed doors and staging them with spectators just from Japan. “We would really like people from around the world to come to a full stadium, but unless we are prepared to accept them and the medical situation in Japan is perfect, it will cause a great deal of trouble also to visitors from overseas,” Seiko Hashimoto, president of the Japanese committee told the media. Officials also said that the relay’s opening ceremony would be held without spectators to prevent the spread of the virus. The Olympics will be held from July 23 to August 8, followed by the Paralympics from August 24 to September 5.
True or False:
- The Japanese government will now allow fans from overseas to attend the Olympic games.
- The International Olympic Committee together with the two bodies will make an official statement regarding international visitors.
- Welcoming overseas fans is not possible at the moment due to the appearance of more coronavirus variants and growing cases of coronavirus in Tokyo.
- The organizers considered several options at the same time, including conducting the games behind closed doors.
- The Olympics will be held first followed by the Paralympics.
Situation: You are the spokesperson for the International Olympic Committee. You are going to make an official statement about international spectators for the upcoming Olympics this year.
Question: Why are international spectators not allowed to attend the Olympics this 2021?
- Due to the…
- not possible
- public safety
Express Your Opinion:
- “If you fail to prepare, you’ve prepared to fail.” -Mark Spitz
- “The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not winning but taking part; the essential thing in life is not conquering but fighting well.” -Pierre de Coubertin
- “Winning doesn’t always mean being first. Winning means you’re doing better than you’ve ever done before.” -Bonnie Blair