© BBC News
- downpour /DOUN-pawr/
- discharge /DIS-chahrj/
- gigaliter /Gi-ga-LEE-ter/
- dispatch /dih-SPACH/
- inland /IN-luhnd/
[noun] – a lot of rain in a short time
The recent downpour in the area was the heaviest ever recorded.
[noun] – the act of sending out waste liquid or gas
Discharge of poisonous chemicals from factories has been the main reason behind the fishes’ deaths.
[noun] – a unit of volume equivalent to 10 liters
The Warragamba Dam in Australia has a total capacity of about 2,000 gigaliters.
[verb] – to send someone or something to a place for a particular purpose
The relief goods we received are now ready to be dispatch.
[adjective] – in the middle of a country, away from the sea
The majority of the population lives inland.
The military has been dispatched for search and rescue missions. 10 million people are under a weather warning except for Western Australia. Authorities have a current record of 15,000 evacuations in the Mid-North Coast and 3,000 in Sydney. The Bureau of Meteorology said that NSW and some inland areas are at a “serious risk” of flash floods. Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison also said: “This is an ongoing situation that is evolving and is extremely dangerous.” The incident has been referred to as a “one-in-50-years-event.”
True or False:
- Only Sydney, Australia is affected by the flash floods.
- The Warragamba Dam released 500 gigaliters of water on Sunday.
- The Hawkesbury and Nepean rivers border Sydney to the north and west.
- According to the news, there have been 15,000 evacuations in the Mid-North Coast.
- Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology said that NSW is now safe from flash floods.
Situation: You heard the recent news about the flash floodings in Australia.
Question: What would you do to help Australia and spread awareness about the incident?
- social media
- environmental issues
Express Your Opinion:
- “If you wait until it floods, it’ll be too late.” — Paul Parker
- “Climate change is happening, humans are causing it, and I think it is perhaps the most serious environmental issue facing us.” — Bill Nye
- “The environmental crisis is a global problem, and only global action will resolve it.” — Barry Commoner