©Evaristo Sa via CNN
- Have you heard of the country Brazil?
- Do you listen to news around the world?
- replace /ri-PLEYS/
- attack /uh-TAK/
- register /REJ-uh-ster/
- attention /uh-TEHN-shuhn/
- against /uh-GENST/
[verb] – to take the place of something, or to put something or someone in the place of something or someone else
She replaced her as the new school president.
[verb] – to try to hurt or defeat using violence
The large dog was attacking the man.
[verb] – to put information, especially your name, into an official list or record
He registered the numbers of the new members on the computer.
[noun] – notice, thought, or interest
He shouted and got everyone’s attention.
[preposition] – disagreeing with a plan or activity
I am against using plastic straws.
True or False:
- Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has not replaced six ministers of the government.
- The former Secretary of State will now be the new Government Minister.
- Younger people are seriously affected by the new COVID-19 variant.
- Many people are praising President Bolsonaro’s performance in handling the COVID-19 crisis.
- More than 500 town mayors have written a letter to call the attention of President Bolsonaro.
Fill in the blanks:
- The Shiba Inu was so cute that it caught everyone’s _______.
- Her name was ________ as a new club member.
- They are _______ him with hurtful words.
- I ______ the car’s tire yesterday.
- My family was_______ my decision to get a new pet.