©Denis Gliksman via BBC.com
- Are you interested in history? Why or why not?
- What do you know about prehistoric people?
- excavate /EKS-kuh-veyt/
- throughout /throo-OUT/
- accurate /AK-yer-it/
- significant /sig-NIF-i-kuhnt/
- geographical /jee-uh-GRAF-i-kuhl/
[verb] – to remove earth that is covering very old objects buried in the ground to discover things about the past
The tools were excavated in an area 400 meters from the previous site.
[adverb] – in every part, or during the whole period of time
You can see the detailed patterns throughout the walls of the palace.
[adjective] – correct, exact, and without any mistakes
I hereby certify that the above information is true and accurate.
[adjective] – important or noticeable
There is a significant increase in his salary after his promotion.
[adjective] – relating to geography, or to the geography of a particular area or place
It shows the geographical features of all the countries in the world.
Dr. Clément Nicolas of Bournemouth University, one of the study’s authors, said that the slab may be the oldest map of a location that has been identified. The marks and lines represent the River Odet valley and its river network. Geo-location revealed that the 3D map is 80% accurate . Nicolas mentioned that this is the first time a map has represented an area on a specific scale. He added that this discovery is significant because it highlights the early geographical knowledge of prehistoric people.
- How big is the excavated giant slab?
- Who discovered the prehistoric map?
- Why was the giant slab almost forgotten after it being discovered by the archeologists?
- What do the patterns in the slab represent?
- Why is the discovery important according to Dr. Clément Nicolas?
- How should the government protect discoveries like the Saint-Bélec Slab?
- Do you think that there are maps older than the Saint-Bélec Slab that could be discovered in the future? Why or why not?
- What is the importance of learning about the history? Please explain your answer.
- What do you think is the most important historical discovery in the last 20 years?
- How do we benefit from studying history?