- What do you think about driving a car?
- How do you get a driver’s license in your country?
- stuck /stuhk/
- request /ri-KWES/
- brake /breyk /
- valuable /VAL-yoo-uh-buhl/
- vehicle /VEE-i-kuhl/
[adjective] – unable to move, or set in a particular position, place, or way of thinking
We were stuck in the elevator for over an hour.
[verb] – to ask for something politely or officially
We requested that the next meeting be held on a Friday.
[verb] – to make a vehicle go slower or stop, using its brake or brakes
He would drive very fast and brake hard/sharply at the last minute.
[adjective] – important, useful, or beneficial
They perform valuable services for poor, rural residents.
[noun] – a machine, usually with wheels and an engine, used for transporting people or goods, especially on land
Road vehicles including cars, buses, and trucks are not allowed to enter the city.
Tire manufacturers are already using smart-tire technology, with special sensors mounted in individual tires. Since the smart tires can provide is so valuable, these inventions will eventually become common, according to TJ Campbell, tire information and testing manager at online retailer Tire Rack. “I totally foresee that happening,” he said, “if for no other reason than that this is the basis for fully autonomous driving.” Self-driving vehicles, he claims, will have enough random variables to deal with without having to deal with unpredictable tire problems. The more you’re aware of a potential problem, like an air leak or worn treads, the better.
A self-driving car will also lack the sense of a skilled human driver for when the road surface is slick or the vehicle is about to skid. Computerized tire technology will be more accurate and reliable than most cars’ current stability and traction control systems in predicting impending traction loss. So, if you don’t want to risk your tires being overheated, take a look at these clever inventions that will save you and your vehicle time and money.
- What are usually pictured as big, circular hunks of black rubber that roll down the road?
- According to the article, what would tires request if they could talk?
- Who is TJ Campbell?
- What will a self-driving car also lack?
- According to the article, what will be more accurate and reliable than most cars’ current stability?
- What do you think about this line in the article, “Tires would request more respect if they could talk.”?
- What can you say about smart tires?
- Do you think the smart tire technology would be in demand in the future? Why or why not?
- Would you like to own a self-driving car someday? Why or why not?
- What would be the benefits of self-driving cars?