© NPO/NOS/AVROTROS NATHAN REINDS VIA BBC NEWS
- Do you watch song competitions? Why or why not?
- What are some famous song contests in your country?
- annual /AN-yoo-uhl/
- pumped /puhmpt/
- collaborative /kuh-LAB-er-uh-tiv/
- balance /BAL-uhns/
- strict /strikt/
[adjective] – happening once every year
The school has annual field trips.
[adjective] – excited about something that is going to happen
Today is the announcement of the grand winners, so everyone is pumped.
[adjective] – involving two or more people working together for a special purpose
Hanae Natsuki and Village Vanguard created a collaborative project of t-shirts, bags, and more.
[verb] – to give several things equal amounts of importance, time, or money so that a situation is successful
It’s important to balance both emotional and mental health.
[adjective] – strongly limiting someone’s freedom to behave as they wish, or likely to severely punish someone if they do not obey
Mika’s parents are strict. No wonder they didn’t allow her to go to the cinema with us.
This year, the Eurovision Song Contest is being held in Rotterdam, Netherlands. Because of the pandemic and recent events, this year’s contest is seen as symbolic, and the artists see it as a collaborative mission—and a challenge—to balance public safety and entertainment. 39 candidates feel a strong sense of responsibility to further this cause, and many have been training for nearly two years, refusing to let the pandemic get in the way for the second time. “It’s all a part of getting back to normal. We always said no matter what happens with the pandemic we will have a song contest,” Österdahl said. 26 out of 39 countries have re-selected their previous year’s entries and all have been rehearsing in Rotterdam’s Ahoy Arena for more than a week ever since they were given the go signal. They continue to adhere to strict safety protocols and every 48 hours, everyone on site is also expected to be tested. A maximum of 3,500 people is allowed entry in the arena in each of the semi-finals and grand final.
The participants used a variety of methods to avoid contracting the virus when traveling to the hotels and rehearsing on location. Despite the challenges they faced, each artist expressed their desire to make Eurovision 2021 a success, urging them to return to the stage and perform enthusiastically once more.
- Why was last year’s Eurovision Song Contest postponed?
- Where is Eurovision 2021 being held?
- How many countries have re-selected their entries from last year?
- What is everyone in Rotterdam’s Ahoy Arena required to do every 48 hours?
- How many people are allowed in Rotterdam’s Ahoy Arena?
- Will more people watch this year’s Eurovision Song Contest? Why do you think so?
- What songs do you expect the contestants will sing about?
- What song or music would you perform if you were a contestant and why?
- Do you agree that music affects people differently? Please share your thoughts.
- What makes live performances different from recorded songs?