©Manny Pacquiao via Instagram (@MannyPacquiao)
- Do you watch boxing matches? Why or why not?
- Is boxing a famous sport in your country? Why or why not?
- defeat /dif-FEET/
- layoff /LEY-awf/
- victory /VIK-tuh-ree/
- flinch /flinch/
- opponent /uh-POH-nuhnt/
[verb] – to win against someone in a fight, war, or competition
Kyle defeated James in the car race.
[noun] – a period when someone is not working or playing sport
Stephen Curry played like a beast after his long layoff.
[noun] – an occasion when you win a game, competition, election, war, etc. or the fact that you have won
Everyone is expecting the football team’s victory.
[verb] – to make a sudden, small movement because of pain or fear
Marzia did not flinch in chasing after the thief.
[noun] – a person who someone is competing against in a sports event
Maya has successfully beaten her opponent in the long jump competition.
Spence Jr., a 31-year-old from Long Island, New York, brings a record of 0 loss and 27 wins with 21 via knockout. The undefeated American boxer confirmed the fight on Instagram saying, “Done deal! See y’all in Vegas for the biggest fight of the year.” Spence is returning to keep the World Boxing Council (WBC) and International Boxing Federation (IBF) belts from a victory over Danny Garcia in December last year. The fight was also Spence’s first since a car accident in 2019 that brought him to the intensive care unit. Sean Gibbons, president of Manny Pacquiao Promotions, said that Pacquiao will never flinch from fighting real fights, especially now with Spence who is believed as the best welterweight in the world. Gibbons added that the fight crafted immediately, pointing out that Spence was the only opponent for the eight-division world champion.
- When is the fight of Pacquiao and Spence?
- Who was the recent boxer that Pacquiao defeated?
- What is Spence’s current boxing record?
- What are the two belts that Spence is trying to retain in this coming match?
- How did Sean Gibbons describe Spence as Pacquiao’s opponent?
- What is Pacquiao’s major advantage against Spence?
- Is Spence’s age gap from Pacquiao a great edge for him to win this match? Why or why not?
- Do you prefer watching sports at the stadium or at home on TV? Why?
- Who is the most famous boxer in your country?
- If you were to become a boxer, what would be your alias/nickname? Please explain your answer.