I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- Do you know what an alliance is?
- Do you support environmental organization?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- area /AIR-ee-uh/
[noun] – a particular part of a place, piece of land, or country
The area is very rich in minerals .
- announce /uh-NOUNS/
[verb] – to make something known or tell people about something officially
He’ll announce his resignation from the presidency tonight.
- safeguard /SEYF-gahrd/
[verb] – to protect something from harm
Be sure to safeguard your passport at all times.
- gather /GATH-er/
[verb] – to collect several things, often from different places or people
I went to several libraries to gather information about the disease.
- environmental /en-VAHY-ruhn-muhnt-tal/
[adjective] – relating to the environment
How do you feel about environmental issues?
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
The ocean covers almost 70% of the earth’s surface area or 139 million square miles; In line with that, a new effort announced last April aims to safeguard 5% of it in the next five years. Given that just roughly 3% of the world’s ocean is currently fully protected, both the aim and the timeline are ambitious. According to M. Sanjayan, CEO of Conservation International, one of the project’s leaders, the Blue Nature Alliance has a “quite great ambition.” “It’s perhaps the largest single conservation program in terms of magnitude and pace.” The Blue Nature Alliance has gathered $125 million to safeguard the ocean from these risks thanks to a collaboration between Conservation International and other environmental and social non-profits such as The Pew Charitable Trusts, the Global Environment Facility, Minderoo Foundation, and the Rob and Melani Walton Foundation. Antarctica, Fiji, Canada, Seychelles, Palau, the Western Indian Ocean, and Tristan da Cunha, a South Atlantic Ocean island, are the Alliance’s initial target areas. These areas, which span over 2.5 million square miles, account for more than a third of the overall target. The Alliance’s initial target areas include Antarctica, Fiji, Canada, Seychelles, Palau, the Western Indian Ocean, and Tristan da Cunha, a South Atlantic Ocean island. More than a third of the overall aim is made up of these places that cover 2.5 million square miles.
True or False:
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- The ocean covers almost 45% of the earth’s surface area.
- A new effort aims to safeguard 5% of the earth’s ocean in the next five years.
- 5% of the world’s ocean is currently fully protected.
- The Blue Nature Alliance has gathered $ 25 million to safeguard the ocean from threats.
- South Atlantic Ocean island is one of the Alliance’s initial target areas.
Fill in the blanks:
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- It has been designated as a safe __________ by the United Nations.
- __________ groups plans to hold public protests.
- It has been __________ that they will be married next week.
- This deal could __________ the futures of the 2,000 employees.
- We must __________ the people to our side.