- insignificant /in-SIG-nif-i-kuhnt/
- initiative /ih-NISH-uh-tiv/
- alliance /uh-LAHY-uhns/
- foundation /foun-DEY-shuhn /
- commence /kuh-MENS/
[adjective] – small or not noticeable, and therefore not considered important
Why do you have to worry about such an insignificant amount of money?
[noun] – a new plan or process to achieve something or solve a problem
The initiative is to protect endangered species.
[noun] – a group of countries, political parties, or people who have agreed to work together because of shared interests or aims
Which country is the official member of the alliance?
[noun] – an organization that has been created in order to provide money for a particular group of people in need of help or for a particular type of study
The foundation of the university took place 50 years ago.
[verb] – to begin something
We will commence with this work tomorrow.
The Blue Nature Alliance has raised $125 million to protect the ocean from these risks, thanks to a partnership between Conservation International and other environmental and social non-profits such as The Pew Charitable Trusts, the Global Environment Facility, Minderoo Foundation, and the Rob and Melani Walton Foundation. The Alliance’s initial focus is on seven ocean locations: Antarctica, Fiji, Canada, Seychelles, Palau, the Western Indian Ocean, and Tristan da Cunha, a South Atlantic Ocean island. More than a third of the overall target is covered by these regions, which total over 2.5 million square miles. It says it will commence by concentrating on conservation in these areas, collaborating with local communities and national leaders to create new marine protected areas (MPAs), and strengthen the management of existing ones.
- Will this initiative be successful? Why?
- Why do you think this initiative is described as audacious?
- Why does the Blue Alliance need to collaborate with local communities and national leaders? Please explain your answer.
- Have you ever volunteered for this kind of environmental initiative? Why or why not?
- How do you conserve water at home? Please tell me more about it.