©River Monsters: The murky world of giant freshwater fish via CNN
- withstand /with-STAND/
- crush /kruhsh/
- masterpiece /MAS-ter-pees/
- extinction /ik-STINGK-shuhn /
- environmentalist /en-vahy-ruhn-MEN-tl-ist/
[verb] – to be strong enough, or not be changed by something, or to oppose a person or thing successfully
I couldn’t withstand the hot weather in this summer season.
[verb] – to press something very hard so that it is broken or its shape is destroyed
A windmill is used to crush grain into flour.
[noun] – a skillful or impressive example of something
This movie is in every way a masterpiece of cinematography.
[noun] – a situation in which something no longer exists
Hundreds of tree species face extinction.
[noun] – a person who is interested in or studies the environment and who tries to protect it from being damaged by human activities
Environmentalists are working to improve the quality of rivers in the city.
The arapaima is an animal Terminator, but it has a fatal flaw: it’s delicious to eat. It’s locally known as pirarucu and “The cod of Amazon” due to its firm white flesh and few bones. The fish is not only a valuable food source for locals but is also appreciated by sophisticated eaters in some of Brazil’s most populous cities. As a result of overfishing, the arapaima population began to dwindle in the 1990s. At that time, measures were adopted to prevent arapaima fishing. On the other hand, illegal fishing continued, resulting in the extinction of the species in sections of the Amazon. That is no longer the case, thanks to the efforts of environmentalists and local communities over the past two decades. Furthermore, the arapaima has not vanished from the plates.
- Do you know any animals that are facing extinction? Tell me more about it.
- Do you know any animal that has the same qualities as the arapaima? Tell me more about it.
- Would you also be drawn by the strong but flexible qualities of the arapaima? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with the idea that the arapaima is a revolutionary masterpiece? Why do you think so?
- What do you think is the best way to take care of these kinds of animals?