I will read each question. Then, please answer them.
- Do you enjoy living in your city?
- What other city in Asia would you like to visit?
I will read the words, meanings, and sample sentences. Then, repeat after me.
- foreign /FAWR-in/
[adjective] – belonging or connected to a country that is not your own
Ireland was the first foreign country I visited.
- various /VAIR-ee-uhs/
[adjective] – many different
I was surprised to see various people at my cousin’s party.
- promise /PROM-is/
[verb] – to tell someone you will certainly do something
She always promises her parents that she would do good in school.
- annual /AN-yoo-uhl/
[adjective] – happening once every year
Tanabata is an annual festival in Japan.
- least /leest/
[adjective] – less than anything or anyone else; the smallest amount or number
I like that blue shirt least of all.
Please read the whole article. Then, I will check your pronunciation and intonation.
Ashgabat is the world’s most expensive city for foreign workers, based on a 2021 cost-of-living report by Mercer, an American company. Ashgabat is the capital of Turkmenistan and has about one million people. Last year’s priciest city was Hong Kong; it has now dropped to second place. Beirut, the capital of Lebanon, came in third and Tokyo came in fourth this year. The country of Turkmenistan has experienced various problems due to the COVID-19 pandemic but its president, Gurbanguly Berdymukhamedov, promises to make Ashgabat one of the most successful cities in the world. The annual report is based on housing, transport, and food pricing. It was created to help companies worldwide find out how much they should pay expatriate employees. Shanghai and Beijing, two Chinese cities, also made it on the list. London in England ranked 18th. The capital of Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek, is the least expensive city on the list.
True or False:
Read the sentences and identify if they are true or false based on the article.
- Beijing was last year’s most expensive city for foreign workers.
- The president of Turkmenistan promises to make Ashgabat one of the most successful cities in the world.
- The report on the most expensive cities for expats is done every month.
- London took the third place.
- Bishkek is the least expensive city on the report.
Fill in the blanks:
Choose the correct word from the table then fill in the blanks.
- My favorite _____ event is Halloween.
- I think he is speaking in a ______ language.
- We went to ______ places during summer vacation.
- Basketball is the sport that I enjoy the ______.
- Gia _______ that she will always help her friend.