©Joel Centano via virtuoso.com
- Where do you usually spend your vacation?
- What food do you usually eat during breakfast?
- trend /trend/
- fancy /FAN-see/
- tropical /TROP-i-kuhl/
- picturesque /pik-chuh-RESK/
- genuinely /JEN-yoo-in-lee/
[noun] – a general development or change in a situation or in the way that people are behaving
Creating a fashion trend is one of my goals as a designer.
[adjective] – decorative or complicated
We had a date at a fancy restaurant.
[adjective] – extremely hot
The Philippines is a tropical country.
[adjective] – attractive in appearance, especially in an old-fashioned way
The tourist attraction is famous for it picturesque scenery.
[adverb] – really and sincerely
He genuinely apologized for his mistake.
The craze has known to start in Bali, Indonesia, followed by tropical private villa resorts in Thailand, Fiji, and Maldives. Travelers enjoying their staycations have also embraced the trend during the pandemic as they are avoiding public dining rooms and buffets as a safety precaution. “Across the course of the past year, in-suite dining has become extremely popular, especially for those seeking solace in the safety and comfort of their suite,” said Jann Hess, general manager at Amanjiwo in Bali. Timo Kuenzli, general manager of Koh Samui’s Cape Fahn Hotel, says that the majority of their guests over the previous year have ordered one. “We can definitely see that the Asian market is way more into having Instagrammable moments to capture than other markets,” Kuenzli said.
Aside from being picturesque and ‘Instagram-worthy’, floating breakfasts have also helped hotel/private resort businesses. How about you? Do you think these breakfasts are just made to be flashed online, or do people genuinely enjoy them? Share your thoughts.
- In what particular place in Indonesia did the floating breakfast trend start?
- Where are these meals typically served?
- What other tropical countries have followed the trend?
- Why do most guests prefer this type of dining during this time of pandemic?
- Besides being ‘Instagrammable’, what is the other benefit of this trend?
- In what hotel/resort have you recently stayed?
- What was the highlight of your stay in that hotel/resort?
- Would you try the floating breakfast if given a chance? Why or why not?
- Are floating breakfasts better than the regular ones?
- How does this trend support COVID-19 health measures?