- gateway /GEYT-wey/
- architectural /ahr-ki-TEK-cher-uhl/
- substantially /suhb-STAN-shuh-lee/
- artificial intelligence /ahr-tuh-FISH-uhl in-TEL-i-juhns/
- runway /RUHN-wey/
[noun] – a place through which you have to go to get to a particular area
The port of Dover is England’s gateway to Europe.
[adjective] – relating to architecture
It is a building of rare architectural beauty.
[adverb] – to a large degree
The percentage of women in engineering has increased substantially.
[noun] – the study of how to produce machines that have some of the qualities that the human mind has, such as the ability to understand language, recognize pictures, solve problems, and learn
It was the first commercially available machine to employ artificial intelligence.
[noun] – a long, level piece of ground with a specially prepared smooth, hard surface on which aircraft take off and land
A small aircraft was obstructing the runway.
Phase one of the vast aviation hub, which costs around 70 billion Chinese yuan ($10.8 billion), can accommodate up to 60 million passengers per year, substantially opening up the country’s southwest region. Phase one took five years to build and includes facial recognition software, self-check-in kiosks, smart security systems, self-boarding gates, and artificial intelligence robot concierges, among other cutting-edge technologies. There are three runways and two terminals in operation, covering a total area of 710,000 square meters. According to Xinhua, the airport will eventually have terminals measuring 1.4 million square meters, with a capacity of 120 million passengers per year. “The new airport in Chengdu was needed to accommodate continued rapid growth,” announced aviation analyst Brendan Sobie. “China’s domestic market has already fully recovered from the pandemic and will continue to grow rapidly. Given the size of the city and its central location in China, Chengdu is very well-positioned to benefit.”
- Have you been to a mega-airport before?
- When was the last time you traveled abroad?
- If you had a chance, would you like to see China’s newest mega airport?
- Do you agree that Chengdu is well-positioned to benefit because of its size and central location in China?
- In your opinion, would China build more mega-airports in the coming years? Why or why not?
- aviation hub